Monday, June 14, 2010

Hands

On Saturday I had the privilege, along with many of my family members and cherished friends, to be in the San Diego Temple as my sister Danielle and her fiance Greg received their endowments. It was such a wonderful experience for me. I have always been somewhat of a mama bear when it comes to Danielle. I have always been skeptical of her boyfriends and interrogated them when they came over to the house.... probably because I never thought anyone was good enough for my baby sister. I hate to admit it, but I was skeptical of Greg at first. But because this was normal for me I wasn't worried, I knew I would eventually come around. Today I know with a surety that Greg is the man for my sister. And he is more than good enough.
Throughout the session I would occasionally glance over at Greg and see him gazing at Danielle with such love in his eyes. It was such a testimony to me of their love for each other. I am so proud of both of them. They have come so far, the road to the temple is not always easy, but they made it and they made it together. What a blessing it is to know that they made the choice to be worthy to enter the house of the Lord and to do it together on the same day. It was so special to be there with them. I know that they will remember that day forever.
During the session I also realized that my mama bear big sister days are coming to an end in a way. As I looked at my little sisters hands, those hands that used to play barbies with me, build forts with me, buy ice cream from the ice cream man with me, play cops and robbers with me and take baths with me. Those hands that cut her own bangs when she was a little girl causing her to have crooked bangs until they finally grew out. Those hands that I was a little bit jealous of when I first saw them at the young age of 2 (she was taking away my baby girl status). Sitting in that beautiful place I realized... those dainty little baby sister hands were all grown up & wrapped around one of those fingers there is now a wedding band. When the session was over I met her in the Celestial Room and embraced her and then held her hands and told her how much I loved her and we both shed a few tears. I just can't believe that my baby sister is all grown up, because to me she will always be 4 years old playing in the snow all by herself with crooked bangs and sweet little innocent baby sister hands. Danielle, I love you more than words can express. You will always be my sweet baby sister and I will always love you! I am so blessed to have you in my life!




No comments: