Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Hero

I don't mean to brag, but my husband is pretty fantastic. Not only is he the best friend I have ever had, but he is also pretty strong. Just a couple weeks ago he had emergency surgery. He had his appendix removed.

Now, please keep in mind that he has been training for a marathon for the past few months, of course the first thing he asked every doctor or nurse that entered his room was "so... I'm running the LA Marathon in 18 days... you think I can still do it?"... to which they all replied... "Well I don't think you'll be up to it" with inquisitive/confused facial expressions.

Here he is pre-surgery...

After surgery it was pretty bad. I think because so many people said that it was a "routine" surgery it made him think that the recovery would be super easy and that he wouldn't be in much pain. I have to confess, that was one of the worst days of my entire life. I have NEVER seen Tyler so distraught, so much in pain, so scared, so uncomfortable and so emotional. It was very difficult to watch someone I love more than anyone else hurt so badly. I was sleep deprived, sore from sitting in horribly uncomfortable chairs all day long and sad to see my sweetheart hurting. I drove home from the hospital and wept. It took me all but 3 minutes to fall asleep once I finally sat down on the couch.

When I left him on wednesday he couldn't keep anything down and he was pretty miserable.

But when I returned early Thursday morning he was chipper and all smiles as he demonstrated to me how he could now eat the orange flavored sorbet that they brought him... he was smiling as he plopped a spoonful into his mouth as if he was saying "Look what I can do!". I was SO happy!

Thank you to all of the many visitors and for all of the kind words of encouragement and prayers uttered in our behalf. We both really felt the love of so many of you. It was also special to see the power of prayer and the power of the priesthood. Our nephews even brought their uncle Tyler a very cute sign...

For those of you who are wondering, Tyler is healing very well. They were able to remove it lapriscopically so the surgery was not very invasive which meant a shorter recovery... Tyler was happy. He went for a check up last friday and the doctor gave him the green light to run the marathon. Tonight he is staying with family in LA and tomorrow I will be there anxiously awaiting his arrival at the finish line. It was a little scary there for a while, but faith and the power of modern medicine pulled us through. Oh and maybe my super hero husband did a little bit too.


Jeff and Kira said...

You guys are so awesome! Sorry you both had to go through something so awful. I'm so happy to hear that Tyler is doing well now though and I'm so impressed he's still doing the marathon! Good luck tomorrow, Tyler!

Megan and Justin said...

Go Tyler! I can't believe he still ran the marathon. That's awesome!