we live close to a plethora of really cool cities. tyler decided to hang out in long beach while I did a little bit of running. well, a lot of running actually. sometimes I wonder what the heck I was thinking signing up for this, but I did and there was no way a person like me could back down. so for the second time in my life I ran 13.1 miles. kind of crazy, very painful, but thrilling in a way. Tyler got some sweet shots of the city while I ran.
but let me tell you a little bit about this whole decision. so I decided to sign up for this LB Half Marathon a couple months ago and I was super pumped about it. I started training and it felt really good to get back into the groove of running. I trained up to 8 miles, it was a great run. then the next week I got debilitating cramps, then the next week I got the stupid flu/cold. so my plan was to train to 11 miles like I did last year for the OC Half, but I missed the 9 mile run & the 10 mile run. so I had one more free day for a big run the week before last. I was coming off of being sick and I decided to run 10. bad idea. I was going strong for about 5 miles and I hit a major wall. I felt nauseas when I first woke up so I had 1 piece of toast, a glass of milk and a glass of water before I ran. that was definitely not enough nourishment for a 10 mile run. what was I thinking? stupid. so I walked for a while hoping I would eventually feel better, stopped at a fast food place for water and kept walking. I felt like crap, I was embarrassed and so tired.
I was just thinking, "maybe Tyler will randomly drive by and save me? I do not have the energy to walk all the way home now and I have an appointment to get to in like 30 minutes, there's NO way I'm going to make it home in time to shower & get there... this seriously stinks." all of a sudden I see Tyler riding away on his bike across the street. I yell for him and he waits for me. I couldn't believe it. How did he know I needed him at that exact moment?
He told me he had gotten out of class early and wanted to check on me because he knew with me being sick I might have trouble. what a miracle. he gave me some money to buy some water and a snack at cvs and I waited there for him to ride home, get the car and pick me up. I made it home in time to shower and get to my appointment on time. it's moments like that where I'm reminded how much Tyler means to me and just how much Heavenly Father knows me and knows when I need help. it was such a special experience.
so, to make a long story even longer, I didn't train past 8 miles. last time I did a half I trained up to 11 miles. I definitely wasn't prepared this time around. I really didn't want to do it just out of the fear of not being able to finish without walking. I did not want to walk. I felt really calm and relaxed about it all though, to me it seemed like a lack of motivation, but in reality I think it was a blessing because being calm really helped.
The traffic getting to the race was terrible. I had Tyler drop me off as close as possible, I booked it to the port a potties and got to the starting line just in time to start with the last wave, I was supposed to be in wave 5, but started with wave 7. Maybe that's why I passed SO many walkers. It was really annoying actually. there were times when there were 5 walkers blocking the entire path, I had to weave through tons and tons of walkers. seriously? I'm cool with you walking, just not if you create a blockade. Here is a picture of me trying to get around all the walkers. super lame.
Tyler was able to see me once around mile 6 and then I didn't see him until after I crossed the finish line and made it through the crowds.
and guess what??? I didn't walk! I was SO proud of myself. I did finish about 10 minutes slower than last year, but considering my lack of training, I was still really happy I didn't walk at all.
some +/- during the race, listed in no particular order:
- perfume/cologne. seriously? you put on that stank so that you could run around and sweat for a couple hours? thanks for causing me to gag and gasp for clean air while I ran 13.1 miles. you're annoying.
- see through stretchy pants. hey lady, thanks for showing me your freaking thong and butt cheeks around mile 10. I thoroughly enjoyed that, really. nope, not really. not really at all.
+ not walking or having to go to the bathroom during the race. this was the best. last time I had to wait in line, do my business and then try to pull my sweaty pants back up. not easy and not fun. so overjoyed that I got to skip that this time around.
- big man with donuts. really? we're all trying to run marathons and half marathons and you're handing out donut holes on the sidelines? thanks, but no thanks. the smell nearly caused me to puke. I know you were just trying to be nice, but it's kind of a strange thing to be serving at a fitness event.
- walkers. how could i forget about you. a very special thanks goes to the 5 walkers who created a blockade as we ran along the bike path on the beach. no, I didn't want to run in the sand to pass you. instead I had to watch for a gap and speed up to try and pass in time so as to not knock anyone over. you were really courteous. thanks.
+ the man with the sign that said "if your feet hurt it's probably cuz you're kicking asssssssphalt". it actually made me run a little faster. thanks for the motivation. you're awesome.
- the traffic jam getting to the race. thanks to you I just about pooped my pants. I really appreciated that.
+ port a potties. thank you for giving me a place besides my little running pants to relieve myself. I appreciate it more than you know.
- the flavored water at the finish line. for real? you don't have regular water??? I just got done running for the last couple hours and you're gonna give me this weird sugar water? do you want me to puke on you? I was about to drink out of their ice chest.
+ Tyler being there for me and encouraging me even when I didn't have the motivation to do this race. he is a great cheer leader and I love him to pieces.
and by the way, now that Tyler knows where to get funnel cakes year round we may be visiting long beach a lot more often. let us know if you love funnel cakes too and you can join us!