Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Becoming something...

Saturday night Tyler, Danielle (my sister), and Kyle (my cousin) all went to a hip hop concert hosted by the local radio station power 106 fm. To say that I was disappointed in humanity is definitely an understatement. Not only were most of the performers cussing more than I knew humanly possible, there were people lighting up joints all around us. Now as I was planning on attending the concert it never occurred to me that this would happen, honestly I think I am just naïve to think that people would respect others and keep that to themselves, but instead my faith in society has been somewhat altered. It is sad to think that people cannot listen to music in a public arena without bringing drugs and alcohol into it. I could have done without the drunk, scantily dressed, dancing woman in her mid thirties who decided to whip out a joint while sitting right next to Tyler and I. It is so sad. I just wanted to see Chris Brown perform and what I got was something else. I came to the realization that society has changed a great deal and because of the standards that I have kept I haven’t been exposed to a lot of bad behavior. Yes, I know people do drugs and drink alcohol, but I haven’t been around it to that degree ever before. It made me really sad to think that so many have no standards at all. It made me really grateful for who my savior has helped me to become. I know I am far from perfect, but I am proud to not be the scantily dressed woman rubbing up against my drunk husband while looking like a total fool to the people around me.
The clencher was when one of the artists got up on stage and as an introduction said “I believe in God, do you?” It made me so sad to think that Heavenly Father is known and loved by so many yet they disregard everything he teaches us. Tears came to my eyes to think what that must be like. How could you love someone and believe in someone and not want to be like them? That is when the whole “accepting Christ as your Savior” kind of came together. So many people believe that as long as you accept him as your savior you are saved, but that is just not enough. We need to be like him, share his words, and help those around us. There is more to life than satisfying ourselves. Christ challenges us to become something…the question is: What have we chosen to become?

No comments: